By: Patrick Maguire
Book Chapter: Introduction
It’s an interesting proposition to be confronted with the question, What inspires you? Stephen Torres, founder of the growing website, Imbibe + Inspire, posed this question to me during a recent interview. Here are some of my answers that made it into the interview, and a few relevant inspirations that didn’t:
- Having a mission that I am deeply committed to, Server Not Servant.
- Hardworking, good people.
- The subculture and camaraderie of hardworking people.
- Human dynamics and observing humans.
- Hospitality, and everything it encompasses.
- The trust that workers have in me to share their experiences and feelings.
- Advocating for service industry workers.
- George Plimpton, participatory journalist, a.k.a., “The Paper Lion”.
- Studs Terkel, author of, Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do.
- My late Dad, and his unwaivering work ethic (working 3 jobs to support a household of 12 people).
- My late Mom, her compassion, and ability to manage a household of 12 people with one bathroom…
- My loyal siblings, relatives and trusted friends.
- The late Maryanne Hooley.
What inspires you?